Sunday, January 22, 2012

Mama

When I was a baby, my mom used to rub the top of my forehead to the bottom of my nose until I finally calmed down enough to fall asleep...Sometimes I still ask her to do that when I can't sleep..

When I was a little girl I had a dream that my mom wasn't really my mom and I knew because the mole she has on her collar bone was gone. For months I always touched that little piece of skin on her before I went to bed so that I would know it was her.

When I was a little bit older, I used to ask my mom to hug me when she tucked me in bed and would pull her in bed with me...Every time. And I thought it was so funny that I was so strong...Looking back, she probably just let me.

When I was a Preteen, my mom would cheer for me at my softball tournaments. She would cheer the chants really loudly and count how many times I would pick my wedgie. I got the grand total at the end of the game. (Those shorts were annoying)

When I was a teenager, my mom would make me and my friends shots of Orange Juice in the morning because we HATED it...She also poured our milk in margarita glasses. To this day, I never drink out of a regular cup.

When I went away to college, my mom exhausted herself to the point where she couldn't walk so that she could set up my dorm while I went to my first sorority meeting. She left me a sweet note, and though I know she cried the whole way home, was strong for me.

When I graduated college, I moved back in with my mama, and we started a relationship way more than mother/daughter. She encouraged me to follow my dreams, and we started reading the Bible together.

A few months into living at home, I hit a low point..That's when my mom repeated all the above experiences. I didn't pull her into bed with me this time, she was just there. She rubbed my nose until my tears stopped and I fell asleep. She made me laugh, not about wedgies this time, and she made sure I kept eating when I didn't want to. She kept encouraging me to follow my dreams, and a fews weeks later, that opportunity came.

I moved to Los Angeles. My mom again helped me pack my things, left me a sweet message, and off I went. Not a single day goes by that I don't miss this woman.

She can't sing to save her life, She is an amazing dancer, She loves so much she can't help but cry all the time, Her laugh is absolutely HYSTERICAL, She has a serious issue with sweets and eats until she is sick, She is OCD about being clean and drives ppl crazy, She has the biggest heart I know, she has MS and can STILL break it down like it's her job, She encourages her family, She is one of the strongest people I know, Her feet are always cold, She loves it when people chops her legs, you can always find her in the bath tub, All my friends have seen her in her underwear because she chooses to not wear pants at most time, she lives in a bathing suit from March-Sept, and she is my best friend...

Miss you Mother Dearest...











2 comments:

Molly S said...

Omg. Haley. I cried when I read this. Your mother is absolutely amazing. I can't tell you how many times i've heard her say, "Murph! Chop my legs" or seen her in a towel/bathrobe/almost neked. I love you both so much. Your mother has been there for me when I NEEDED a momma. I think this entire post is so sweet. You are so blessed.

Rae said...

So sweet. You are lucky to have her and she's lucky to have you. :) I mean blessed, not lucky.